Friday, December 29, 2006

Hereafter....

I hereby declare this my recently read/seen or in the process of reading/seeing blog. I'll reserve actual commentaries for my main blog, but this is more by way of tracking stuff for myself...

So, recently scanned:

Woman Warrior
Adam, Eve and the Serpent (Elaine Paggels)
Evil Sisters (Bram Djikstra)
Goddess Within
Hero with a Thousand Faces

Recently read:

Never Let Me Go (Kazuo Ishiguro)

Recently viewed:

Partway through Prison Break
Final Cut (Robin Williams as editor of others' lives in expiation of guilt he feels over a childhood mishap)
Battlestar Galactica (partway through season two)
Alias (up to end of season two)
Apocalypto
How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days

Currently reading/scanning:

Fairy Faith in Celtic Cultures
Beginnins, Middles and Ends
How Great Generals Win (Bevin Alexander)
1421: The Year the Chinese Discovered America
Stranger Things Happen (Kelly Link)
Politics: A conceptual approach

To read soon, I hope:

The Book of Lost Things
Lost Girls (Andrew Pyper)
Freakonomics
The Psychology of War

2 comments:

Joely Skye said...

Heh, I will reveal depth, by saying I enjoyed How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days.

I couldn't get into Never Let Me Go.

I enjoyed parts of seasons 1 & 2 of Alias, but lost interest. I did like the episodes where she'd dress up as a native, speak the language fluently (or at least appear to from where I sat) and be generally superhumanly effective at her job. Nice wish fulfillment.

I found Beginnings, Middles and Ends helpful. I didn't read 1421 but I did read 1471 which is in, I believe, the same series and thought it was good.

Anduril Elessar said...

I'm interested in 1471 as well--I saw them both in the bookstore and planned to check them both out!

But I've given up on 1421. It just got progressively more inane, alas, such that it even lost its Borgesian charm.

Re Alias--total wish fulfillment, hey?! I enjoyed all Sydney's funky costumes and personae as well (though when she spoke those languages I understood, it was a bit jarring since her accents weren't very good. I was, however, stunned by Vaughan's French accent and later learned the actor grew up bilingual).

I also liked the whole love story with Vaughan. I enjoyed the second season--though it declined in tension (perhaps inevitably) after the big changeover and resettling of the world. And then I got annoyed when they threw in that gratuitous plot device to keep Sydney and Vaughan apart at the beginning of Season three.

I still have to read the "Ends" part of Beginnings, Middles and Ends. Maybe I should do that tonight--maybe it will help. :-)

We've been enjoying Prison Break as well. There are the inevitable hand-wavings about the Civil Engineering elements, but it's still an engrossing series and the last several episodes (of Season 1) are edge-of-your-seat, IMO.