Friday, January 19, 2007

Diary of a Bachelorette

Or something like that. A friend of ours taped it because it turns out that a mutual acquaintance was featured in this particular episode.

The show is about a bunch of attractive single women in search of "Mr. Right." They had women of different ethnicities and also of different sizes, which was refreshing to see. They were certainly likeable and appealing figures as presented in the show.

At any rate, it was a strange sensation, watching this episode, because the acquaintance was the "disaster" figure of the show. He was basically shown to be mister incredibly and horribly wrong--and though he has a reputation among those who know him that one might say is somewhat in line with this, I wonder to what extent the interviews, comments and clips were cut to make him look even worse.

So it was really kind of uncomfortable watching the show because on the one hand, it was funny--and if I didn't know this person, I'd probably be chuckling away--but on the other, I felt bad and wondered how he would feel about being portrayed in this way. Or rather--I don't know him at all, so I couldn't really wonder or presume to imagine how he would feel. But because I've met him and heard about him and so on, let's say he was closer to home, and so it made me think about how I would feel under those circumstances, if I were to turn on some show for which I had signed a release form and so on, and found myself portrayed in such a manner.

I guess the moral of the story is, don't sign that release form... :-)

No comments: